Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Sports Movies...And The Rise of Allergens in my Living Room While I Watch Them


I don't know what it is, maybe I'm getting older. Maybe I've gotten in touch with my feminine side, maybe my estrogen levels are elevated for some awful reason...I don't know, but I can say in all honesty that over the past few years I've noticed that I've gotten a little more emotional about things. I don't think I cried at my grandfather's funeral, but now if I watch Extreme Makeover Home Edition, I'm sobbing like a three year old that lost his woobie.

There are some things that will make me get a little misty eyed...The funeral scene in My Girl, The final episode of the Wonder years, when you find out Jack Arnold dies, and any time I think of the montage that WBCN did with U2's Beautiful Day with the highlights of the first Patriots' Super Bowl win interspersed in it for example.

But there is one thing in particular that will make me weep almost every time...Sports Movies. Not all sports movies, for example, I wasn't reaching for tissues when I watched The Replacements or anything, although Keanu Reeves performance was painful at times. But In good pull at your heart strings Sports Movies.

I'll run down the list...

Rudy
Hoosiers
Remember The Titans
Radio
Field of Dreams
The Natural
And of course the biggest one of all...Brian's Song

Tell me there is any man in the world that can watch Brian's Song without crying. The other day I found myself humming along to the music from this movie, and I started crying then. Quite embarrassing in the elevator at work actually. I mean this movie has it all...two friends, two teammates, but also competitors. The break color barriers and become best friends, then when one gets hurt and the other one has an opportunity to take his spot, he doesn't just sit there, he helps his friend get back in shape, cause he doesn't want to be the starter for the wrong reason. Then he comes down with Cancer....And Dies. It's ridiculous how sad this is. And I didn't even mention...this movie stars James Caan...and Billy Dee williams!!! Fuckin' Billy Dee Williams plays Gale Sayers! When Gale does his speech about Brian, in the locker room asking to give him the Game Ball, and to win the game for Brian, you can't help but cry!

Guys, do yourself a favor, if you need to let out some tears, watch one of these movies...No one will blame you, and ladies, if you are wondering why the guy in your life is crying, don't ask him, look at the tv...I guarantee a sports movie is on TV.

1 comment:

shayne said...

james caan, now on nbc's hit show 'las vegas'. oh how the mighty fall.