Monday, January 09, 2006

Faith No More....The Greatest Cover Band of All Time???


It is my opinion that Faith No More is the greatest cover band of all time. Now of course, they aren't a cover band per se, but I'll argue that the covers that they have done...namely I Started a Joke (BeeGees), Easy (the commodores) and War Pigs (Black Sabbath) are done so well, that they get arguments from me that they are better than the originals! I know this is a very bold statement, as Easy and War Pigs are classic songs by very popular bands and ISAJ is by another extremely famouse band, although not one of their more famous tunes, but I stand by it. Faith No More is in my opinion one of the most underrated bands of all times. At one point they were punished for being a Hard Rock band during the Grunge era...but then they resurfaced and carried on, and released album after album and great song after great song. But were known by many for their only radio hit....Epic.

But Mike Patton has one of the greatest voices in Rock history. He is able to adapt to many different styles. In ISAJ and Easy, he is able to sing in an almost operatic fashion. At the same time mimicking the styles of the original singers, but then elaborating on them in a way that only he could. In War Pigs, Mike does his best to not only copy the style of the Great Ozzy Osbourne, but again, he adds his own flair to the music which makes it their own. On one hand they are covering a song, showing respect to the original artists, but on the other hand, they are able to take the song, and make it their own.

Sure there are bands like Me First And The Gimme Gimme's who actually make their money covering songs (and believe me I love them for doing it), but for my money, I'll take Faith No More and hold their covers above all others. Don't give me all along the watchtower. Don't Give me Don't Be Cruel, Don't Give me Unforgettable...Personally I'll take Faith No More's version of Easy, I Started a Joke, and War Pigs over all of them!

No comments: