Monday, February 04, 2008

Tom and Chuck Win It All!

Out of respect to many people I’m keeping this post sports free, however out of disrespect to certain members of Contempt for the World, I’m not keeping this post Tom Petty free.

Had certain members of CFTW (alex) not taunted me by texting Tom Petty (that’s alliteration bitches) hate mail during halftime, perhaps I wouldn’t feel the need to point out Alex’s obvious shortcomings.

I still strongly believe that Alex actually likes Tom Petty – I know he’s much different than Fall Out Boy or whatever emo bullshit Alex is into these days, but my knowledge that Alex CAN actually like good music (see Billy Bragg) makes me feel that he will one day be able to confidently admit that Tom Petty is indeed awesome. Please refer back to my Unified Petty Theory from Feb 2007.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers rocked the house and were an excellent choice for half time. I can’t wait to see him this summer and I stand by my belief that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are the greatest thing to ever come out of Florida. So FU Alex!

My only other comment is regarding the Superbowl commercials – people are saying these are the funniest ones in years. I didn’t see any commercials that I thought were particularly amusing, barring one. The Coke commercial with Charlie Brown was PHENOMENAL! This commercial worked on every level. It was already funny to see the Stewie blimp fight it out with Underdog, but the second we saw the head of Charlie Brown emerge from behind the building the room went wild. So despite how I might feel about the two teams that played last night, Charlie Brown finally won and all is right in the world!

3 comments:

fuge said...

While I like Tom Petty...I have to disagree slightly...I don't think his style of music worked as a super bowl halftime show.

Whether his performance was good, is another story.

Duffless said...

I agree that Tom Petty wasn't the best performance ever - we both agree that goes to u2, and then Prince. However, I don't think Petty's music is too mellow - especially Running Down a Dream - that is a perfect song for the occasion. I'm happy to see a performer who's had a long career and would appeal to many generations in the audience. Yes, his music is rock but with a laid back style we agree to disagree about whether he was appropriate choice for the superbowl. I think he's quintessentially American and was a perfect choice for many reasons.

Anonymous said...

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers were awesome the only thing that the performance lacked was that it needed a little "Honey Bee".