Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Unified Petty Theory


It is my theory, that during any party/hanging out situation putting Tom Petty on is always acceptable and appreciated.

Back in college we used to fight over what cd to put on. Some liked metal, some liked grunge (which like an onion on the belt, was the fashion at the time) and others of us preferred (cough.. cough) sad bastard British music. There was very little acceptable overlap, especially once the drinking began. Here is where Tom Petty is your "go to" guy. He's the Switzerland of music, he's neutral territory. Everybody likes him, nobody hates him.


Weirdly, Tom Petty has always been famous, and yet has never been FAMOUS. Everybody likes Tom Petty, he's a unifying factor without being uncool, like say a Billy Joel. Most bands have had ups and downs, yet he's always around. I have found in my subsequent experience that the Unified Petty Theory has stood the test of time. He's like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, its always in the kitchen and sometimes you forget how awesome it is. I look forward to another 30 years of Petty and PBJ!

10 comments:

Alex said...

Umm, so I hate Tom Petty and Billy Joel... and I'm from Switzerland. How's your theory now?!

Duffless said...

I have to call bullshit on this. You don't hate Tom Petty. I could think of some sort of excuse for foreigners I'm sure...but I think if you were at a party and Tom Petty was on, you wouldn't mind at all.

Billy Joel and Neil Diamond fall into the category of music that people (maybe americans) like, but won't admit they like. Unless they are awesome, like the Foundation.

fuge said...

If someone fucks with Neil Diamond we're going to have Words...WORDS I say.

River Pants said...

Bob Marley is universal.........

Bob dylan is more local, but still universal

Tom Petty is just 'safe'


-west side

Duffless said...

I am in full agreement, Petty is a safe bet for social situations.

Since you brought it up and I am a whore for Dylan, but I must fess up...I do not like Marley.

Don't get me wrong, he's a legend and the music isn't bad, I just don't care for it. However, after 2 or 3 songs I'm done.

This is probably me just being a freak...there are several bands everyone loves that I just don't care for, case in point Led Zeppelin.

I have to classify Zeppelin and Marley i the category of performers I have no reason to not care for, yet there I am.

River Pants said...

dead.to.me.

Dan Nolan said...

so, you're taking Tom Petty, Billy Joel, and Neil Diamond over Bob Marley and Led Zeppelin?

Duffless said...

We all have our guilty pleasures. I don't feel guilty about it in the slightest. Like I said, Marley and Zepplin don't suck, I just don't like them.

MDG said...

There are two guys you don't mess with Neil and The Jovi.

fuge said...

Ok, I never liked Led Zeppelin, I think they are immensely talented, just not my cup of tea. Also, They are one of those bands that I got sick of because everyone listened to it in college, even though I think they didn't really like them all that much.

I do like Bob Marley though which is surprising...I don't own anything by him, but I like most of his stuff, and No Woman No Cry is in my top five best songs of all time list.

and Marc, Jovi can be fucked with whenever anybody wants...