Monday, February 12, 2007

Finding the Simpson's not funny, that's a paddlin'


First of all, I can't believe I've blogged this long without going off about The Simpson's. Let the record show, my life has been significantly happier because of the weekly joy that is the Simpson's.

Growing up there was a rule at our dinner table, No Simpsons Quoting! My little brother was just about the same age as Bart when the show started. My poor parents had to endure years of random Simpson's blathering each and every dinner. College and my moving out offered their ears some peace, at least until the holidays.

Although there was a "No Simpsons" rule, we did not, nay could not obey it. We just couldn't stop ourselves. Eventually my parents realized the futility of this rule: their kids were just too fucked up and nothing could be done.

As the years passed they finally went with it. I can remember calling home one time and telling my Mom to say to my bro, "Food goes in here", to which he instantly replied "it sure does."

Later my brother called me laughing, both pissed and impressed that I was able to get my mom to quote the Homer. He was just jealous and envious of my awesomeness!!

My little bro, "the boy", just turned 25. That means if Bart were real he'd also be 25! For the last, I'd say 6 or 7 years, I've endured countless conversations about how "the Simpsons just aren't funny anymore." People who know how much I love this show feel the need to engage me in the topic. While yes, I will admit, the episodes are less consistent, especially after the Conan years, the show is till relevant and funny. Damnit people, THE SIMPSONS ARE STILL FUNNY!

Comedy evolves over time, since the characters can't age the writing must mutate to keep fresh. Some seasons are more whacked out, some are more sentimental. Variety, thy name is Simpsons!

Last night's episode is a clear example of one of the more whacked out episodes. I wish I could have been there when the writers pitched the idea: "Bart runs away with his pregnant girlfriend to get married." Bart is 10!!! F'ing classic.

Even better than the main plot was the Homer subplot. Bart gets a driver's license and Homer gives him a cell phone and informs him that Bart must now be available to Homer whenever he needs him. As a result, you get to hear through the phone calls, the crazy shit that Homer gets himself into behind the scenes. At one point he has to call Bart to find out the difference between Ketchup and Catsup, else he'll be beheaded. You don't know where Homer is, or how this could have possibly have happened.

You never really see where Homer is during these calls, but you learn that the situations Homer gets involved in, which aren't episodes, are even more f'd up than you could imagine. Yes, I realize i'm talking like Homer is real. I mean he is, isn't he?

We also learn that Lenny and Carl might also be brothers. Any episode with Lenny and Carl is a keeper.

So for all of you Simpson's doubters, please wait til the movie comes out to bad mouth it. I've got a bad feeling about it. This season has been great, and the Simpson's are still hilarious!

5 comments:

www.tiesplanet.com said...

I hate that people say The Simpsons aren't funny anymore. Still the best show in the world for me.

banky said...

I confess, I'm one of those people who says the show isn't funny anymore. Although last night' episode was much better than anything from the last few seasons. And when I say "not funny," that means "not as funny as Seasons 1-10," not "not funny like Family Guy is not funny."

That being said, I am totally stoked for the Movie. It will absolutely crush me if it's also not funny.

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha!

- Nelson Muntz

Dan Nolan said...

Simpsons = still funny.

shayne said...

an eloquent and moving defense of the simpsons.

hear hear!