Friday, June 16, 2006

Dane Cook still sucks, and All Things Sandler!


Sometimes I think I'm so obsessed with pop culture that every conversation I have is Foundation material. Also, I'm very, very lazy. So, instead of an original blog posting, this one is inspired by an email conversation I recently had with a long time friend I met in college, he's also a long time Foundation reader. Due to a sick trainwreck like curiosity he rented some Dane Cook to see if he was indeed as bad as I claimed. He then posed the following question: "Is there any correlation between Cook and Sandler, Sandler was loved by all the meatheads at school when we were there?"

Good Question, yet my hatred of all things Dane Cook, leaves me recoiling at the mere comparison to Sandler. My good friend at least had the courtesty to state that Cook and Sandler are not as bad as "Larry the Cable Guy" - well, point made, but that doesn't put Sandler in the Dane Cook category. I'm not a huge Sandler fan, however I'm not, not a Sandler fan, if you know what I mean, he has brought me some joy in my life, and I know for a fact my friend loves Madison.

My Response: HOW DARE YOU! Have you seen Billy Madison? Perhaps a small correlation - I've never really loved Sandler's stand up, but Cook is just a hack, and I'm getting the vibe that you kinda liked it and I hang my head in shame. Not as bad as "larry the cable guy" - - that's like saying shit tacos are better than shit sandwiches - ok, now that I've thought about Spinal Tap I feel better - - a funny guy you should check out is Zack Galifinakis - his stand up is hysterical! I saw him on Comedy Central a few times, and then last year during the comedians of comedy tour - he was great, so was Brian Poshen and suprisingly, Patton Oswald is funny, I'd not have guessed that, but Zack G is by far one of the best comedians working today, I don't know why you didn't care for the David Cross cd's, you break my heart."

My friend responded by clarifying his hatred of Dane Cook, however he then issued the following challengef: "Billy Madison & his CD are very funny but the rest of his career is complete horseshit and you cannot deny that."

This challenge led to a Foundation critique of all things Sandler, cut and pasted from my email for your reading pleasure:
Billy Madison - pure genius
Wedding Singer- HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!
Spanglish- I'm the only person in America who liked this movie!
Big Daddy- I kinda liked it, but half due to jon stewart and the kid is kinda funny
Mr. Deeds - horrible, although mostly Wynona Ryder's fault, but still, not good - but you have to admit Tutorro was good in it
50 First Dates- neither good nor bad, terrible soundtrack
Punch-Drunk Love- this has been a source of heated debate between Hunter and myself, he loves it, I said it was a fucking arty piece of shit.
Anger Management - snoozefest
The Waterboy - dumb, just fucking dumb
Little Nicky - by far his greatest sin against humanity
Happy Gilmore - dude, this is funny - 80's throwback funny to movies like One Crazy Summer - but not quite as good
Bulletproof- never saw it, but lets say it sucks balls
Mixed Nuts- its been a long time but I remember it being vaguely entertaining
Airheads- dude, I like this movie - mostly for buscemi, but its a great throw away sat afternoon movie and......and he had a small role in Shakes the Clown - have to give him some respect When all is said and done, I have to give him the thumbs up - show me someone else in hollywood who keeps a low profile, isn't annoying and just likes to make movies with his friends - I can't fault him on this at all - I have to give Sandler the thumbs up! The smartest move he ever made was to leave stand up for comedic acting.

I would like to thank my friend for his long time dedication to the arts, and while we sometimes disagree, I've rarely had question of his cinematic and comedic tastes! Now go out there, and you find that fucking puppy!

5 comments:

MDG said...

I'm totally onboard with this. I must admit that lately as he's gotten a older his movies are more hit or miss. But One glaring oversight on your part. Airheads! Anyone who was a Lone Rangers can never be hated.

PS I'll be netflixing Click mostly for the fact that Kate Beckinsale is so hot.

Duffless said...

Airheads was in there, but at the bottom, I gave it a good review -- I forgot to bold the movie name, gonna go and fix that

Click doesn't look great, what we need is a new Man and Monkey movie, we haven't had one in a few years, always a good genre!

Anonymous said...

Give me a break people. Sandler had two good films in him, Gilmore and Madison. He should have gone the way of Chevy Chase and fallen off the face of the earth after 5 or 6 movies. I believe he would have benefited from a few flicks w/ ensemble casts (ie. Caddyshack) where he could shine as a supporting character. Instead he keeps making the same fucking cookie cutter Romanitc Comedy every freaking year. Bulletproof & The Longest Yard (remake)? C'mon, have you ever seen a comedy pre-1990? Apparently, you haven't.

- Schmuck

Go Les Bleus!!!

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Phendimetrazine 35 mg 270 tablets cod shipping Hot chicks in bikinis protonix tired legs club hiking sierra malpractice georgia wheelchair sales phoenix az is protonix safe Vinyl dishwasher nylon Interracialiresults.php qq tenuate big five accounting firm College basketball picture of illinois

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! »