Monday, May 01, 2006

Would You Like To Go To Prom With Me?



I'm not afraid to let people know about my love for teenage romantic comedies. If they are Shakespearian works translated into Teen Pop culture even better. I'll stand by the fact that 10 Things I Hate About You is one of the finest films made during my lifetime. I'll say that Mellissa Joan Hart was robbed of an oscar nod for her role in Drives Me Crazy. Going back to my youth, I'll rabidly debate that Amanda Peterson (Cindy Mancini) from Can't Buy Me Love was at one point the hottest chick in the world (growing up in Billerica with nothing but cable to keep you company doesn't give you a very big sampling to take from).

There are a couple of things that movies like this have in common. Generally, one of the leads (the popular one) falls for the other lead (the unpopular one) or vice versa...Although one of the two parties doesn't realize that they should be together. Then invariably something happens to piss the other one off, then it takes a some kind of epiphany and they realize they should be together and then they get back together.

Another common theme in these kinds of movies I was reminded of tonight when watching "How I Met Your Mother" which I'll say again is the best new tv show on the air. I grew up in the northeast...maybe this has something to do with it, but I always get annoyed when I watch these movies, and the characters call the big dance you go to at the end of your senior year "Prom" and not "The Prom" . I always thought you asked a girl to go to "the Prom" with you not ask a girl to go to "Prom" with you.

Maybe this is a california thing. And since there aren't a hell of a lot of movie studios based in Wilmington Massachusetts the California dialect wins out. I'm not upset by this if this is the case...I would just like to be educated. I've never been outside of New England for more than like a week and a half at a time...so I'm ready to believe anything, it just always sounds weird to me...I can overlook this weird way of speaking as long as the weird art girl can win over the football captain, and he'll get drunk and make out with his ex girlfriend, and the art girl who now looks like a pop star will get pissed, but then he'll do something to get her back, like Sing an embarrassing song during band practice, or get her favorite band to play at "The Prom"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the Midwest, we call it "Prom" not "The Prom".

MDG said...

Down South it was "Prom". I disticntly remember asking some to go to Prom with me, not "The Prom".

Slut Up!

shayne said...

oh and we called it 'the prom' in vermont

northeast represent

shayne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.