Monday, May 08, 2006

Beautiful Weirdos

At the Foundation we try to understand and celebrate all things pop culture. Sometimes, just sometimes, we run a foul of something we just can't categorize. I had just such an experience today in the middle of Davis Square on my way home from work. Who are these beautiful weirdos? What are they doing, and why? I ask you loyal readers to come to my aid, what is going on here?. Are they simply celebrating 2$ Beer Summer? Is this what happens to those kids in high school who quote Monty Python just a "little" too much? Is this a mating ritual, God help me, are these people couples, yet I am still single? Help me explain these creatures!

Here is what I know: They appeared tonight at 7pm, they are multi generational and co-ed,they dance to the phat beats of their a accordian and recorder players. The men and women do not mingle while dancing, but both wave white scarves and jingle jangle when they dance.

The men wear:

  • Clockwork Orange type white clothes
  • blue suspenders
  • red and blue ribbons on their nipplish areas
  • sleigh bells around their shins
  • red baseball hats, black shoes and blue neckerchiefs

The women wear:
  • white pants and shirts, but they rock blue vests
  • yellow and blue arm ribbons
  • sleigh bells on their shins and black shoes
I decree a challenge. The first person who can explain to me who these people are will win a 2$ beer. However, the the funniest explanation wins, TWO, that's right, TWO 2$ Beers, courtesy of the Duffless Foundation!

7 comments:

shayne said...

they're morris dancers, i think. they do it a few times every summer. more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_dance

Duffless said...

well, i'll buy you a beer, however you weren't the first response, but you were the first response who actually posted a comment! So props to that!

We should form a trivia team!

MDG said...

Those are the offical Foundation Dancers. I pay them to announce your arrival in Davis once a year.

fuge said...

I believe that is there way of tiring themselves out for the cuddle party that is happening later at the dilboy.

shayne said...

what?! who told you what they were before me?

bandit said...

totally doesn't count.

i think you owe scoutie a $2.00 beer!

shayne said...

*shakes fist*

damn him!