Thursday, January 24, 2008

Random Pop Culture Musings


Louis CK is coming to Boston in a few months and friends have somehow managed to get a posse of folks to head out to see him. Granted he’s no Dane Cook, but it should be more fun than a “bag of dicks”. Our friend KMoore may just die from giggling if he uses that phrase, he simply can’t handle it. If you haven’t seen Louis CK’s special Shameless, you need to educate yourself post haste!


The Goon has recently informed me of a new disgusting pop culture/dirty slang phrase: “The Spocker”. Apparently, the Spocker is like the Shocker, but Spockier, and involves making the Spock gang gesture. This could be the weirdest slash funniest slash grossest term I’ve learned since the great Fuge Upper Decking conversation of 2007.

According to the Goon, (who really earns his name with this new discovery), instead of “two in the pink one in the stink”, the Spocker’s catch phrase is “Live long and finger”. Goon, you’ve really raised the bar on this one.

A pop culture confession, I spent 30 min the other day trying to find a good picture of “Burt” from Valerie/The Hogan Family because I noticed that the guy who plays the manager type in all the Stride Gum commercials was the same dude. While I thought I was the only loser to notice this, the Goon recently confirmed he recognized him as well. Burt was a nerd friends with Jason"It's Your Move" Bateman, unlike Bateman’s other friend, I think his name was Rick, who was a badddd apple, so bad in fact bad he got both a DUI on show and died of Aids. Ouch.

Speaking of sitcom sidekicks, I was never a big Hogan Family fan, but all this thinking of Burt made me think of Boner from Growing Pains. How funny was it when you learned his dad’s name was Sylvester Stabone? I’m still laughing. Speaking of Boner, I love when I learn that random barely famous people are related to other random kinda famous people.

Like, did you know that Boner’s dad was Checkov on Star Trek. I seem to collect random information like this, such as did you know the girl who played the blonde chick who dated Cousin Larry Appleton on Perfect Strangers was the daughter of Mr. Whipple the toilet paper commercial dude. I mean, who needs to know this? Me for some reason.

I also just recently learned that the lady who plays the socially awkward and pregnant cop on Reno 911 is the daughter of the guy who does the voice of not only Lion-O from the Thundercats, but also Count Chocula. Have you ever heard the audio recording of Lion-O swearing, it's pretty good.

Just last night I was watching 30 Rock Season 1 and decided to IMDB (apparently I use this as a verb now) Jason Sudekis because he’s really cute (aww) and lo and behold I learned that he’s the nephew of George Wendt. Now he’s even cuter to me, I mean is there a better drunken uncle than George Wendt? Things I like about Wendt are as follows:

A. how shitfaced he got on national tv during the last Cheers

B. my friend's brother saw him out at a bar and he was double fisting beers

C. his role as a gay poker playing rhode island lout in Outside Providence.

Speaking of Outide Providence and 30 Rock, they both share Alec Baldwin. When 30 Rock first came out I wasn’t sure what it was going to be like, but it sounded really bad and there was that whole confusion between 30 Rock and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. I saw an episode or two of 30 Rock and it just didn’t grab me as funny. However, my tivo captured it now and again on Thursday nights and I started watching it more regularly and it really began to grow on me. I’ve now since watched the whole first season on from streaming Netflix and have laughed my ass off, I think its arguably funnier than the Office, give it a chance if you haven't already -trust me any show with both Tracy Morgan and by my count, at least 3 Lemonparty references, is a winner.

Well, I think the rambling free association pop culture vomit session has come to an end – if you made it this far may God have mercy on your soul.

6 comments:

fuge said...

I'm very glad I was able to bring you the upper decker...Not that it was my term or anything, but it needs to be out there.

all I have to say about Louis CK is...She's Five...She has no defensive skills!

Anonymous said...

Aw man. I remember the whole upper decker conversation. I was scarred then, I'm still scarred now...

Unknown said...

my buddy Todd actually came up with the Spocker term..but I like using it's other name..The Dirty Nimoy.

Duffless said...

Is this the same Todd who want both to cure Cancer and become The World's Strongest Man?

I googled the Spocker, it was an existing term - i even found a t shirt - not sure if Todd coined it, but seems doubtful - unlike his other aspirations :-)

Scooter B. said...

I only saw Growing Pains once, but the reason I watched it was to see Walter Koenig's son because I had a puzzling crush on Mr. Chekov when I was little.

Anonymous said...

http://www.thespocker.com/

Hot, I say.