Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Quick and Dirty Oscar Nomination Wrap up

Best Picture: "Atonement," ''Juno," ''Michael Clayton," ''No Country for Old Men," ''There Will Be Blood."

Juno, really? I saw it, it was ok. The dialogue was entirely unbelievable and the soundtrack made me want to stick a gun in my mouth and blow my brains out. But other than that it was pretty good. I liked it, and I like the trend of the Academy giving quirky dramatic comedies more respect – ala Little Miss Sunshine, but I’m still shocked to see it here especially at the expense of other “indie” films – not that indie films really exist anymore. I really didn’t think that Once stood a shot at best picture, but seeing Juno there makes wish Once got the nod instead. I also much preferred Into the Wild.
No Country for Old Men was amazing, but until I see Blood this week I withhold judgment.

Actor: George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"; Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"; Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street"; Tommy Lee Jones, "In the Valley of Elah"; Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises."

I am psyched that Johnny Depp got a nod for this. He won’t win, but he did a hell of a job on this film. I also support their support of Viggo’s junk, however I do feel that legislature should be enacted that requires Viggo to maintain his hair like in Lord of the Rings at all times. I didn’t see In the Valley of Elah, but they could give it to TLJones for No Country, so I take their word that he’s good. He’s really become a great actor, good thing Al Gore invented him.(Actually they were college roommates). I haven’t seen There Will be Blood Yet, but there is no doubt that Daniel Day Lewis will win this Oscar. In fact, I think the Academy should just send him the an Oscar every 4 to 5 years and save us the time suspense. Although, FU Academy, I’m still pissed about In the Name of the Father being robbed!

Actress: Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"; Julie Christie, "Away From Her"; Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose"; Laura Linney, "The Savages"; Ellen Page, "Juno."

Ok, Ellen Page? Really? She did a great job, don’t get me wrong, but her character had in my mind one amazing scene in the film. Ask me about it, no spoilers from me yet. I think that Marion Cotillard will win this Oscar, unless they decide Julie Christie and reward her for years of good work.

Supporting Actor: Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"; Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"; Hal Holbrook, "Into the Wild"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"; Tom Wilkinson, "Michael Clayton."

I predicted months ago that Hal Holbrook would get an Oscar nod for Into the Wild, I believe I said just send it to him now. He did a fantastic job and he’s old as fuck. However, up against Javier Bardem is a death sentence. I hadn’t realized that Javier’s role would be considered Supporting and not Lead. Hal, baby…I think you’re screwed. Casey Affleck, good for you! I wish I had a double burrrrger.

Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"; Ruby Dee, "American Gangster"; Saoirse Ronan, "Atonement"; Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"; Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton."

Amy Ryan for crack whore bitch of the year! Gets my vote. However, Cate Blanchet is nominated for both Lead and Supporting, I think she stands a chance here – she looks scarily like Dylan. Don’t factor Ruby Dee out, she’s a legend. I’m very happy to see Tilda Swinton get some props, she’s great in everything.

Director: Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Jason Reitman, "Juno"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."

Jason Reitman – again, more Juno outrage. Am I missing something here? The Direction did not stand out in this movie, not at all. I think it’s a fistfight between PTA and the Coen’s. I like them both for this nomination. This could really go either way. I’ll abstain for now – but I’m leaning Coen.

Adapted Screenplay: Christopher Hampton, "Atonement"; Sarah Polley, "Away from Her"; Ronald Harwood, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."

I’m rooting for Sarah Polley here, even though she doesn’t stand a chance. Like her and have enjoyed her whole career – she’s really an interesting person, plus I think my friend Hunter would kill me if I didn’t root her on.

Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody, "Juno"; Nancy Oliver, "Lars and the Real Girl"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava and Jim Capobianco, "Ratatouille"; Tamara Jenkins, "The Savages."

Ugg, I thought Ratatouille was one of the weakest of the recent amazing Pixar movies. I love Brad Bird, but I didn’t think the plot was original at all. I can see Juno winning this one, and actually deserves the nod. However, do I want to reward anyone with a stupid name like Diablo Cody?

Art Direction: "American Gangster," ''Atonement," ''The Golden Compass," ''Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street," ''There Will Be Blood."
Tim Burton, 115%. I give it 4 for gore.

Cinematography: "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," ''Atonement," ''The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," ''No Country for Old Men," ''There Will Be Blood."

No question, No Country.

Original Song: "Falling Slowly" from "Once," Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova; "Happy Working Song" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz; "Raise It Up" from "August Rush," Nominees to be determined; "So Close" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz; "That's How You Know" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz.

Someone explain to my why a movie is allowed to have more than 1 song nominated? Then explain to me why that movie was Enchanted and not ONCE. Fuck you Hollywood. Am I the only one who saw Once? Grrr.
Although I’m not Pearl Jam fan, it’s a sin that Into the Wild was overlooked. Eddie Vedder should be outraged, he did an amazing job with the film. This category is rigged.

Documentary Feature: "No End in Sight," ''Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience," ''Sicko," ''Taxi to the Dark Side," ''War/Dance."

Well, I saw Sicko and it scared me more than 12 Cloverfield monsters – so yeah. Sicko all the way.

Film Editing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," ''The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," ''Into the Wild," ''No Country for Old Men," ''There Will Be Blood."

I actually think Into the Wild stands a chance here, it was very well edited.

So here you go, what were your thoughts?

7 comments:

Josh said...

There are monsters in Cloverfield? Thanks for ruining the movie for me. I figured they were all scared of natural disasters, or "fate" a la Final Destination. You can't run from fate, man. You just can't.

Alex said...

I've realized that I've seen very few of these movies... and I only saw Atonement because I was dragged to it.

fuge said...

Apparently I need to start my pre oscars movie push...Or should I call it a Surge?

Anyway, I've seen like one of those movies..

I suck.

Of course this will in NO way keep me from writing a Blogtacular Oscars Recap.

Unknown said...

Ruby Dee Rules!!

Alex said...

By Blogtacular Oscars Recap do you actually mean getting progressively more drunk and incoherent as you smash your fists on the keyboard?

Anonymous said...

I hope 'No End in Sight' wins best documentary and the guy's thank you speech just goes on and on and on 'til CNN runs an Oscar speech quagmire day 8 graphic at the top of every news cast. I totally agree with you on Juno, sister. PC 'Knocked up'. And the Flintstones award for getting boned goes to 'Zodiac'(Robert Downey Jr in particular).

shayne said...

i really liked juno. a lot.