Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Remembering Yaz, not that he died or anything.

Now before you jump to conclusions...this ISN'T a sports blog. But a little background is necessary. When I was growing up, I totally Idolized Carl Yastrzemski of the Red Sox. I'm not sure why, by the time I knew what I was doing, he was well past his prime, and just playing out the strings collecting milestone hits and whatnot before retiring. I didn't see him in 67 when he was the last player to hit for the triple crown, nor was I really a fan when they played in 1978 (Bucky F'n Dent)...so I really never saw his good years, but regardless, I loved the guy. I lovd the guy so much that my Dad got me an Autographed framed picture of his that I proudly displayed in my bedroom. This picture later became the stuff of legends around my friends, who when crashing at my place after drinking have sworn that a Surly Carl Yastrzemski spoke to them in their sleep, telling them not to go to the bathroom. Anyway, I got to meet Yaz a few years ago, and he really did turn out to be as advertised...Kind of a prick. As Sparky Anderson said in David Wells Book, when asked how he would pitch to Yaz if he was playing today, I'd drill that Polish Son Of A Bitch and pitch to the next guy.

Anyway, I was watching TV the other day, and I'm very happy to say that someone has decided to imortalize old Number 8 in another way, and this is by naming a product after him. To the Foundation members I give you YAZ...The Only Birth Control Pill With Proven Efficacy For the Emotional and Physical Symptoms of PMDD.

Yaz has joined Nadz hair removal product as one of the funniest product names of all times! I mean, who doesn't laugh when they hear Nadz...well now, everytime you think of Fuge's favorite surly Polish Ballplayer, you'll think of Birth Control! What I find truly humorous about the commercial though, is that apparently women, when they go out to a night club, immediately start talking about what kind of birth control they are on...and what the pros and cons of the products are. Who knew?!?! Guys just talk about sports, and chicks, and movies and stuff. Maybe we should be talking about what kind of vitamins we take, or what kind of condom we prefer. Anyway, I know this isn't the greatest post of all time, but everytime I see the commercial I have to chuckle...Yaz...Triple Crown...Birth Control.
Good times

2 comments:

Duffless said...

Ha, YAZ for me will always be the band. I had their album Upstairs at Eric's a looooong time ago. I loved when their music was used in The Chocolate War. Such a good 80s movie, thank you Keith Gordon.

All I know about Yaz the baseball player is that Milhouse liked his big sideburns and wanted to buy his baseball card.

20 dollars to whomever can pull off the Yaz Hat Trick.

Have sex with Yaz, while listening to Yaz, while on Yaz.

Scooter B. said...

I love Yaz, too. "Goodbye 70s!" Alison Moyet's voice is totally dope. Rock on!