Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Dan's Top Ten Challenge!



Ok, so in response to my Appetite for Destruction post, loyal reader and fellow blogger Dan of VonTrapperKeeper fame, has issued me a challenge to come up with my top 10 albums of my lifetime...and also, top 10 albums of my formative years (ten years of age and after). That is pretty easy for me, since I'm 30, I'll just say, top 10 of my lifetime and the top 10 of the last 20 years. Now anything made in 1976 qualifies as my lifetime, even if it was released before I was actually born...And I'm going to consider 1987 the cutoff to the formative years portion of the poll, so anything released from 1987 through the present is fair game. Also, this isn't a list based on anything in particular...It's not based on Sales, or Airplay or some critics view on what is considered musically superior to everything else. Although to be honest, most of the albums on here are more or less commercially successful. I was going to put some lesser known stuff on here, but I realized, when it boils down to it, I really don't think these albums were worthy...I may do a top 10 list of albums that no one else has ever heard of list at some point, but right now I'm sticking to the task at hand.

Without further ado, here we go...The Top 10 Albums of my lifetime:

as usual Casey Kasem style

Number 10...Weezer Pinkerton (1996) My favorite Weezer album and I feel an album from one of my favorite band should be included here. El Scorcho is one of the greatest songs of all time (yes that does mean it will make my top 50), and the rest of the album is just behind it in quality...Sadly The Weez doesn't seem to like this album as much as I do, and only play El Scorcho in concert...but whatever It's my list not Rivers...he can continue on with his Asian fetish on his own time.
Number 9...Faith No More, The Real Thing (1989) Another of my favorite bands, and another album that needs to be included. This one was actually a very difficult one because Angel Dust of even King For A Day are also great albums, I actually picked this one based upon the fact that of the FNM albums, it had the greatest commercial success, and biggest hits. I know that may be a shitty way of thinking it, and kind of contradicts my number 10 selection, but I really don't have A Favorite FNM album, so I went with this one.
Number 8...The Clash, London Calling (1977) Such a wide range of music on this Double LP, that I just found out from Wikipedia was sold as a single album because The Clash Duped the Record company into including a free 12 Inch single in the album, which they then recorded as a full album. The straight up punk, the reggae, rockabilly all work really well in this album, and definitely makes it's place on this list.
Number 7...Prince, Purple Rain (1984) This one could be much higher really, so I'll say this, from 7 through 4, any of these could move up or down this list...it's not set in stone. But How could I not include this...I mean, When Dove's Cry, Purple Rain, Let's Go Crazy, Darling Nikki...So great. And that man can play guitar, and sing. Best 10 Dollars I ever spent going to see him at the Fleet Center a few years ago...or was it the TD BankNorth Garden by then?
Number 6...Pearl Jam 10 (1991) This album really was High School for me...you know...flannel shirts, converse all stars, baggy jeans...it was all there. And even though I haven't liked really anything other than bits and pieces of the album Vs....this album stands the test of time...Alive, Evenflow, Black, Jeremy etc. etc. etc....all very good.
Number 5...Van Halen 1984 (1984) I love David Lee Roth...And I love Michael Anthony's backing vocals...and I Love Alex Van Halen's large drum set, and I even love Eddie Van Halen's Guitar and piano playing. I mean, how awesome an album could there be? Jump, Panama and Hot For Teacher...So Great. Great videos, hot chicks, split kicks...what else could you ask for?
Number 4...Nirvana Nevermind (1991) Don't give me this shit about how Bleach is better or whatever...This Album literally changed my life. Along with 10, this album led me out of the morass that is Hair Bands, into a new era...It didn't last all that long, because shortly after this stage I started listening to more Hard Core and Metal, but it really did change my life. My mother used to get scared during the days that I played this album over and over again, maybe not as scared as Guns and Roses, because there wasn't the blatant use of swear words, but still scared.
Number 3...Michael Jackson, Thriller (1982) OK, this has to go here, because this album really did shape my childhood...I mean, first of all the Thriller Video is one of the greatest things ever...especially the behind the scenes making of thriller that was always on TV. But look at this listing of tunes: Wanna Be Starting Something, P.Y.T, Billie Jean, Beat It, Thriller...So f'n good.
Number 2...Beastie Boys, Paul's Boutique (1989) This Album, which did some great sampling, back when you could sample without getting sued. And I mean, it's just great. In Egg Man alone, there are samples from Psycho, Jaws, Cheech and Chong's Next Movie, Aliens, Curtis Mayfield's Superfly, Elvis Costello's Pump It Up, The Commodore's I'm Ready, Dance To The Music by Sly and the Family Stone, Bring the noise by Public Enemy, and Drop it in the Slot by Tower of Power...And that's just one song! Plus the Lyrics are tremendous and I'm willing to say that Hey Ladies, Shadrach and Shake Your Rump will be well received at any party.
Number 1...Guns and Roses, Appetite for Destruction (1987) I don't really feel like going through every thing with this album, so please check out my previous post.
Top 10 Albums of my Formative Years 1987 through 2007.
10. NWA Straight Outta Compton (1988) I needed some Gangsta Rap...now didn't I? And why not the Gangsta Rap Supergroup that is NWA...Ice Cube, Dr. Dre and Easy E? Come on now...NO BRAINER.
9. U2 Joshua Tree (1987) Here's the thing, I'm not even a big U2 fan...really, I'm not. I could give two shits about the stuff released after this album. My partner in crime Duffless is the U2 aficionado in the Foundation. But this album is still great. And yes, maybe it's because I grew up watching MTV 24 hours a day, but Still Haven't Found What We're Looking For, Where The Streets Have No Name, With Or Without You, and Running To Stand Still, are some great tunes...I think I actually like War better, but it's out of the time frame.
8. Oasis, What's The Story (Morning Glory) (1995) Remember I told you that I became a fan of the Hardcore Metal scene after my quick foray into the Alternative movement of the early 90's...Well, liking this album really got me a lot of grief from my friends. But hey, it's a good album
7. R.E.M Out of Time (1991) I know, everyone's going to give me shit for liking this more than other albums, but I'm sorry, I loved it. When I got my first Discman, this was the first cd I bought for it. Absolutely tremendous...and it paved the way for me to like the older stuff too. And I'll say it, Shiny Happy People isn't as bad as people make it out to be!
6. Pinkerton (see above)
5. The Real Thing (See Above)
4. Ten (See Above)
3. Nevermind (See Above)
2. Paul's Boutique (See Above)
1. Appetite for Destruction (See Previous Post)
I'm sure a lot of these albums will be criticized, or lauded...Either way I look forward to your comments or your own lists.

7 comments:

Dan Nolan said...

These lists are so fucking hard. I have 25 albums that aren't talking to me right now because I didn't put them in the top 10. I was going to lame out and put them in honorable mention, but that demeans the list itself, so I won't do that. Also, I'm 4 years older than you but for the sake of consistency, I made my lists by your dates (30 and 20 are good breakers anyways).

Top 10 since 77:

1. London Calling – The Clash (1977)
2. Doolittle – The Pixies (1989)
3. Daydream Nation – Sonic Youth (1988)
4. Chairs Missing – Wire (1977)
5. Lonesome Crowded West – Modest Mouse (1997)
6. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot – Wilco (2002)
7. Bee Thousand – Guided By Voices (1994)
8. The Queen Is Dead – The Smiths (1986)
9. Loveless – My Bloody Valentine (1991)
10. Strung Out In Heaven – Brian Jonestown Massacre (1998)

Only 3 got booted at the 87 cutoff so here are the final 3 in the top 10 since 87:

8. Leisure – Blur (1991)
9. I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One – Yo La Tengo (1997)
10. Kill The Moonlight – Spoon (2002)

My sincere apologies to all those who didn't make the cut. You gotta give it up for stiff competition.

Scooter B. said...

Ok, I'll bite, because I love making lists. I'm like 100 years older than you, but I too will follow the 1977 rules... also because I don't think any pre-1977 albums would be on my list anyway...

10. Dr. Dre, "The Chronic" (1992)
9. Crowded House, "Crowded House" (1986)
8. Gang of Four "Entertainment" (1979)
7. U2, "October" (1981)
6. Tears For Fears, "The Hurting" (1983)
5. Bauhaus, "In the Flat Field" (1980)
4. The Smiths, "The Smiths" (1984)
3. Joy Division, "Unknown Pleasures" (1979)
2. Big Country, "The Crossing"
1. Wire, "Pink Flag" (1977)

since 1997:

10. The Faint, "Danse Macabre" (2001)
9. Ladytron, "604" (2001)
8. Franz Ferdinand, s/t (2004)
7. Love of Diagrams, "Mosaic" (2007)
6. Jamie Lidell, "Multiply" (2005)
5. Matthew Dear, "Backstroke" (2004)
4. Colder, "Again" (2003)
3. LCD Soundsystem, s/t (2005)
2. !!!, "Louden Up Now" (2004)
1. Radio 4, "Enemies Like This"
0. interpol, "Turn on the Bright Lights" (2002)

Wow. That was really painful. I also wasn't counting, and put 11. oops.

Duffless said...

Ok, time for my list

Top ten albums since 1974:

1. EMF - Schubert Dip
2. Hoobastank - Hoobastank
3. Synthestasia - live recording, Umass
4. The Wiggles - Live at Buddakan
5. Savage Garden = Truly, Madly, Deeply
6. Skee-Lo - I Wish
7. Charelene - I've Never Been to Me
8. Chris Gaines - The Life of Chris Gaines
9. Carlos Santana - Supernatural
10. Smash Mouth - Astro Lounge

Dan Nolan said...

you forgot, Mad Season.

Duffless said...

Dude, I just had to wikipedia Mad Season, sometimes my pop culture knowledge leave me behind. After reading it I totally had a flash back and remember them, good call. How dare I leave them off the list?

Kyle Sinclair said...

Top ten albums of my lifetime:

10. Counting Crows, "August and Everything After" (1993)

I know this is not a popular choice, but it awkwardly related to a lot of crazy teenage issues I had at the time, and believe me, back in 1993 this album was an absolute goldmine for songs to add to mix tapes. And if that's not enough, Adam Durwitz was banging both Courtney Cox and Jennifer Aniston as a direct result from this album. That has got to count for something, right?

9. Nirvana, "In Utero" (1993)

I skipped a lot of my high school classes senior year to devote time to listening to this album and smoking Winston Selects. I admit that I haven't listened to this album in probably five years, but it still holds a special place in heart.

8. Son Volt, "Trace" (1995)

The single greatest album to listen to on long road trips.

7. Van Halen, "1984" (1984)

Fuge's reasoning says it all.

666. Motley Crue, "Shout At The Devil" (1983)

My grandmother bought this cassette for my brother and I when I was in the 2nd grade, and it made a lasting impression as my introduction to a lifelong love for hard rock and 'heavy metal.' Thanks Nana.

5. Jawbreaker, "Dear You" (1995)

This album was out of print for a while and there was a time you could have sold a used copy on eBay for a few hundred dollars. It would actually take more than few hundred dollars for me to sell my copy, but I will negotiate.

4. Ben Folds Five, "Ben Folds Five" (1995)

I was working at a record store at the time of this release, and this was the one album that I put into in-store heavy rotation. It always seemed to make my work day go by faster. I liked these guys' sense of humor, and I like all Ben Folds' stuff, but this was the beginning.

3. Old 97s, "Too Far To Care" (1997)

Another alt-country entry on my list. Just a great album. Every song, start to finish, is awesome. There really isn't much more to say.

2. Faith No More, "Angel Dust" (1992)

"The Real Thing" was a great album, but "Angel Dust" was a more mature album, even though Mike Patton was still completely insane. "Angel Dust" defined who Faith No More was as a band and either you loved them or you hated them.

1. Guns N' Roses, "Appetite for Destruction" (1987)

There never will be another debut album quite like this ever again. There will never be another album that promotes a bigger 'fuck you' attitude from five no names ever again. The internet and 24/7 media won't allow it. And not only did these guys say 'fuck you', they lived 'fuck you'. From day one, these guys were rock stars. Booze, chicks, drugs, awesome.

Dan Nolan said...

You're not punk.

And I'm telling everyone.