Thursday, July 26, 2007

Your Fantasy SNL Cast.


A fellow SNL Fan sent me around an email in which his friends decided who they would want in their Favorite SNL Cast of all time.

The rules were simple, 8 Males, 4 Females. Then he posted a spreadsheet and people sent around emails discussing the picks...I was happy to be included, and since I haven't posted a blog in a while, I figured, why not bring it to the foundation so that you can try it out yourself.

Here's a link to help you remember who the castmembers were:

http://snl.jt.org/cast/listcast.phtml

So here's my cast, and the reason why I picked them...

Males:

John Belushi. I mean, I needed one classic cast member on there. And come on now, Joe Cocker? Belushi was great.

Chris Farley. I decided to keep the fat dead guy theme going. Also, the skit with him and greatly coiffed Patrick Swayze as Chippendale's dancers is one of the greatest things ever put on film.

Dana Carvey. When I was growing up, It was all about Carvey, Chopping Brocolli, Church Lady Wayne's World...which brings us to:

Mike Meyers. Again, Wayne's World. And Lothar of the Hill People, and Coffee Talk, all brilliant in my opinion.

At the halfway point we are definitely top heavy on the late 80's early 90's, let's try to change that a bit...

Will Ferrell...I mean, I think I'd put him in here JUST for his work as James Lipton, but throw in Alex Trebek, Cowbell and Neil Diamond Storyteller, and you just have a winner.

Adam Sandler, I'll admit, I loved Opera Man. Moreso than the Crazy Costume guy or Cajun Man. I also think that the skits where he played Shannen Doherty's ex boyfriend, and the "You Can't Get There From Here" is worth it. Plus I'm giving him lots of credit for Billy Madison, which I know isn't an SNL skit, but I do love it so.

Norm MacDonald...again, I think this is mostly because I LOVE Norm MacDonald. I mean, his voice alone cracks me up. Also his work as fake Burt Reynolds on Celebrity Jeopardy alone gets him on this list. And he can help out on Weekend Update.

To finish out the list...I went with Darrel Hammond. And I'm not even sure why, I think because of his Clinton, and definitely the Sean Connery stuff on Celebrity Jeopardy...I love Celebrity Jeopardy, And to give some credence to the new cast, although he's been on so long, it isn't like he's really new or anything.

Female

Now these two, I'll admit I'm including because I've had a fantasy about having a threesome with them on the weekend update desk for a while now....

Amy Poehler and Tina Fey. So Hot!

Next I went with Molly Shannon...I think she did some great work, people seem to remember her mostly for Mary Catherine Gallagher, but she did a lot more in my opinion. Especially her work as Monica Lewinsky...with John Goodman as Linda Tripp.

Finally, I had to go Old School and go with Gilda Radner...She was Just great...Roseanne Rosanadanah, Barbara Wawa and the old lady on Weekend Update that would get corrected and then say Never Mind.

So there it is, it's not so much a glorification of my opinions as I'm opening the floor to you, the foundation to give your own lists, and to criticize mine.

Also, A personal note...I will be moving to Somerville soon!

This means that Duffless and I will probably never get to use the "Sides of the River" idea in a post, but it does mean that there will be a higher concentration of Awesomeness on the Cambridge Somerville side of the river...I look forward to much drinking of cheap beer and eating of good food in the davis/teele area!

7 comments:

banky said...

Excellent question. Fortunately, I had 3 beers with lunch so I'm in perfect shape to debate the merits of various SNL cast members. (Huhhuh, I said "member.")

* Phil Hartman - Seriously Fuge, I won't quibble with most of your list, but leaving off Hartman is a fucking SIN. And that's all I have to say about THAT. (Okay, I will say this - Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer, Anal Retentive Carpenter, Ed McMahon (he *made* the Carsino sketches!), the list goes on...)

* Kevin Nealon - His weekend update was the best, bar none. Norm MacDonald was a close second, and there were times when Norm won out by virtue of going farther to make a bad joke funny...but Nealon is, in the end, the greatest Weekend Update anchor ever.

* Chevy Chase - My choice to rep the "classic years." Belushi is probably funnier, but Chevy could share the Anchor desk with Nealon, so he gets the nod.

* Will Ferrell - Picked up where Hartman left off. Not as funny, but what *was* as funny after Hartman?

* Chris Rock - I was tempted to give the Token Black Member spot to Tim Meadows, but the thought of seeing "Nat X" every week gives Chris the win. (I'm also tempted to give one of the female spots to Tracy Morgan In Drag. Is that legal?)

* Tim Meadows - Fuck it, this season will have *two* black people. I'm just crazy like that! Tim Meadows deserves it, if only for the Ladies Man. And for doing countless "token black member" skits over the years.

* Chris Farley - Indeed, the Chippendale's skit is one of the best ever. Not to mention Matt Foley. And "that guy" who does "air quotes" around "everything." And the freakin' Gap girl - LAY OFF ME, I'M STARVING!!

* Dan Aykroyd - Dude was genius. I would LOVE to see him & Hartman working together.

* Janeane Garofalo - They never gave her a decent script, but she's proved time and again that she's funny as all hell. And hot.

* Molly Shannon - Possibly the funniest female cast member ever. Willing to go all the way for a joke. Also, hot.

* Tina Fey - So smart. So sexy. So funny. Did I mention that she's hot?

* Sarah Silverman - SO FUCKING HOT. And funny. I can't even *imagine* how funny she would be if they gave her decent material to work with. BTW, she's easily the hottest SNL cast member ever.

banky said...

Oh, and a special bonus for my Fantasy Season - Alec Baldwin guests hosts every week!

Duffless said...

Oh, man the Ladies Man was brilliant.

I also have to agree with Kevin Nealon, I forgot he hosted Update...good call!

fuge said...

Ok, I'm rescinding my Darrell Hammond to go with Hartman...

It was an oversight that I should NOT have made...duffless and doug have done well in convincing me that I was wrong.

I also did not include the token black guy, so I will give this weeks "Featuring" slot to Chris Rock.

Finally, my host has to be Alec Baldwin, or John Goodman, but I'll go Baldwin.

Dan Nolan said...

great post. this is vintage Duffless material. I'm working on my list now. I'm also copping out on a Friday post on vtk and linking directly to the DF.

I have to agree with dougie fresh. leaving Phil Hartman off is criminal. "So gold is long and thin, like Kareem Abdul Jabbar."

Dan Nolan said...

my cast:

dudes:

- Phil Hartman - # 1 with a bullet. oops, bad pun. jk, phil. you know I worship you. Seriously though - my # 1 draft choice.

- Eddie Murphy - nothing token about this pick. His SNL work was some of the best comedy ever anywhere.

- Martin Short - my short guy. love me some Ed Grimley. (honorable mention: Tim Kazurinsky)

- Bill Murray - genius.

- Norm MacDonald - News and assorted straight man roles

- Chris Farley - my fat guy. just a narrow layer of cellulite better than Belushi. I labored over this pick, but they play the same roles and I can only justify taking one, and ... second guessing ... no, gotta have me some Farley. It's Farley. Barely.

- Will Ferrell - "the body heat melts the jack" what? insane. would love to see him freestyle with Hartman and Murray.

- Joe Piscopo - I know I know I know. It's a stretch, but I needed another impressionist, aside from Hartman. And you know what? You are dark and I am light. You are blind as a bat and I have sight.

dudettes:

- Gilda - no brainer

- Jane Curtin - the ultimate straight woman (... nah, too easy)

- Rachel Dratch - my darkhorse pick of the cast

- Molly Shannon - I briefly considered Jan Hooks, Sarah Silverman, and Tina Fey for the last spot, but had to go with Mary Katherine Gallagher.

featuring:

- Al Franken (sort of a cast member, sort of a writer and occasional spot guest)

- Paul Shaffer (underrated comic talent)

- Bill Hader (might be a cast member now, but I give him a tip of the cap in my list as a featured player, and the funniest of his new crop)

cartoon by Robert Smigel: Ambiguously Gay Duo

musical guest: double bill - Sinead O'Connor and Cypress Hill

host: Steve Martin.

Dan Nolan said...

oops, forgot the commercials:

Happy Fun Ball
Little Chocolate Donuts
Bad Idea Jeans