Thursday, July 26, 2007

He Said, She Said

Ok, so here goes my SNL Picks, no order.

1. Chris Parnell - a dark horse pick for sure, but also one of the most under-rated cast members of all time. Fired not once, but twice from the show. Always funny, is known for not breaking character (Jimmy and Horatio, i'm looking at you). Last but not least, his raps. Those alone get him on the list.

2. Eddie Murphy - Ok, as per SNL rules you always have to have the token black guy. You have to have a black guy, a fat guy, a very tall guy, a very short guy, a canadian and throw in a few women. Mad props for Ellen Cleghorne for finding a way to get on the show, she was a rule breaker! Ok, back to Murpy, The Best of Eddie Murphy from SNL is one of my all time favorite videos. I think I can still quote it word for word. Between his sketches, short films and impersonations, he is still one of the most talented people snl has ever seen.

3. Norm McDonald - NORM! I'm sorry, but he's hysterical. He can host my Weekend Update anyday. He's brilliant, his celebrity jeopardy 80s Burt Reynolds earns him a spot, his Weekend Update and fuck you NBC/Lorne Michaels type attitude keeps him there. For some laughs check out some of Norm's appearances on Letterman...they are up on youtube and not to be missed.

4. Phil Hartman - UNFROZEN CAVEMAN LAWYER. nuff said

5. Kevin Nealon - I'm glad he's finally being appreciated due to Weeds, but damn he was always funny, a great straight man, and more than fills the tall man spot. He ties together any seat.

6. Martin Short - you need a short man, and I really don't want to sit through any chris kattan shit. While he can be annoying, he can also be brilliant. WAIT, NO FUCK IT. ACKROYD GETS THIS SPOT. He's not a shortman, but I mean come on. Ackroyd all the way. Plus if he gains some weight, he can have the fat guy spot, as neither Belushi nor Farley are making this list.

7.Will Ferrell - He's earned it. Fuge sums it up well. Diamond, Celeb Jeopardy, Cowbell, I could go on. Although I'm relucant to have him on due to the cheerleading, he's more than made up for it, although we do already have a lot of tall guys.

8. This last spot almost went to a lot of people. I considered Tim Meadows, Jon Lovitz, Seth Meyers, Charles Rocket (just for saying FUCK on tv) so I declare a Tie between Dana Carvey and Adam Sandler.

The ladies:
1. Victoria Jackson - so funny as a dumb blonde, also I need me some Love Toilet.
2. Gilda - slam dunk
3. Jane Curtain - perfect for those straight man roles, plus I've heard she's an ignorant slut.
4. Amy Poehler - always funny, always. I do even like when she plays that little annoying little girl.

This was tough, its hard to come up with a cast thats not only good, but you can see working well together. You need people who can be over the top funny, and people who are more dry and clever, you need someone who can do some musical stuff, and you need people who aren't one trick ponies riding out the same sketch over and over again. Also you have to consider the brillant people who just had no place on SNL. There was that season where they wanted to change things up and they brought on Michael Mckeon, Janeanne Garafolo and Chris Elliott. All brilliant comedians, but much to late in their careers to be on SNL. I like SNL as more of a proving ground. I say the same about Bill Murray, Garrett Morris, Brian Doyle Murray, Chris Rock and some other, all funny but just not good on the show.

11 comments:

Eric said...

You guys left off a very important part of the equation, who would host?

I'm going for Alec Baldwin, with musical guest Christopher Walken.

Duffless said...

I suppose I'd have to go for a random lottery out of the five timers club, with special attention to the Platinum Club, those who have hosted 12 or more times.

Musical guests do not count.

Baldwin, Martin, Walken etc. I can't decide. I mean, Canteen Boy, Centaur, all fantastic, how do you pick?

And some of the 5 timers are great, Tom Hanks had some great episodes.

I even like some little guys, like affleck's appearances have been solid, and surprisingly Matt Damon had an awesome episode - if anyone can find me the clip of him as the young Hanibal Lecter I'd be in heaven, I can't find it anywhere.

Alex said...

Here's mine...

1. Phil Hartman - I would always stick around after the opening monologue as chances are he was in the fake ad that would follow... or at least be the voice-over guy.

2. Tim Meadows – if you can find the “Shirt in a Can” ad, watch it, enjoy it, and if you’re still a racist after it, well then maybe you should go to Russia. I also love that he would just have to play any black person, even if he didn’t look like them, or couldn’t do an impression of them.

3. Darrell Hammond – his impressions were priceless… some were brilliant, others weren’t very good at all, but still seemed to work for some reason

4. Amy Poehler – it’s not so much her work on SNL (as I really don’t watch more recent shows), but just because I liked her on Upright Citizen’s Brigade

5. Kevin Nealon – I’m sorry, but Weekend Update peaked with him…. If anyone says anything about Colin Quinn I will eat your soul

6. Sarah Silverman – ok I don’t actually remember her on the show, but I like her current show… so I’m just going to assume she was awesome then as well

7. Dana Carvey - chopping broccoli

8. Norm MacDonald - he couldn’t really act, yet he somehow made that work

9. Tracy Morgan – I know, another black person!!!! I can’t explain this, I just really liked him…. Maybe it has to do with his Starr Jones impression

10. Nancy Walls – ok I’m basing this on her Daily Show fame… yeah, I’m cheating

11. Nora Dunn – I can’t explain it…. She could fill in most roles… apparently I didn’t like most of the women on the show? Yeah, I’m sexist

12. Will Ferrell – his Alex Trebek impression is awful, yet somehow works

Duffless said...

According to Live from New York, Nora Dunn was a raging bitch. More than one cast member had huge run ins with her. That being said, I still thought she was good.

Dan Nolan said...

weeeeeehhhhooooooooooooaaaaa. whoa.

whoa.

Dan Nolan said...

did you just call Janeane Garofalo a brilliant comedian?

Duffless said...

Indeed I did. Her stand up is great, and she's a great comedic actress. She didn't belong on SNL.

Dan Nolan said...

I guess San Diego is German for "whale's vagina" and we'll have to agree to disagree. You think Scrubs and Garofalo are funny; I don't. That said, your SNL list is pretty good.

Duffless said...

Nobody actually knows what it means, the translation was lost years ago.

Yes, I think scrubs is funny and yes I love JG. However, you keep tugging on that Scrubs cord, and while I like the show, it's FUGE who is the monster fan and posts about it.

Dan Nolan said...

my bad.

I just compiled my list (in other post's comment section) and I need a nap. That took it out of me.

fuge said...

I want to have a non sexual menage a trois with JD and Turk from Scrubs...Does that make me a bad person?