Tuesday, January 23, 2007

What day is it?...October? No, It's Oscar Nomination Day!

Today, is one of my favorite days of the year...and I'm sure you can tell from the headline, why that is.

It's Oscar Nominations Day!!!

I don't claim to have seen all the movies that were nominated...in fact the last time I've even seen all 5 nominated best picture candidates was the 1998 show...(Titanic, Good Will Hunting, The Full Monty, LA Confidential, As Good As It Gets)...but I still love this day.

Here's why, because I generally look at the list of Nominees, then regardless of whether I've seen the film, I come up with the picks I think will win. I'm not quite ready to pick my winners yet.

But I will say this.

I'm happy about two things...

1...The fact that Little Miss Sunshine was nominated for Best Picture instead of Dreamgirls.

I mean, that movie can't be good can it? Most reviews I've seen have given it 2 stars or less!

and

2....The fact that one of my favorites, star of The Bad News Bears and Breaking Away....Jackie Earle Haley has come out of obscurity to get nominated for Best Supporting Actor for his work in The Little Children.

I swear I'll see that movie sometime, I promise. but who cares, i'm rooting for him, because he was Kelly Leak, the best Cigarette Smoking, Motorcycle ridin, Air Hockey Husltling, Frilly Suede Jacket wearing little leaguer in the world!

This weekend I'll come up with my completely uninformed predictions on the rest of the categories, but chalk me up for this one...The best supporting actor will be Jackie Earle Haley!

Here is a link to all of the nominations...

http://www.oscars.org/79academyawards/noms.html

I'll be back with my predictions this weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was amazed to see the Borat movie in there, and also Ryan Gosling - nobody saw that movie! Re: supporting actor, I have to root for Mark Wahlberg - he stole every single scene he was in. But I don't think he'll win it.
Cheers, Sharon

MDG said...

I'm holding my predictions until a couple days before the show.