Wednesday, January 24, 2007

To follow up Fuge, my Oscar thoughts.

I want this to be the year where they come out and reverse last year's Best Picture decision. Why can't they admit that last year's decision was just hollywood sucking its own dick? Crash Sucked!!!

I have to clap out the Marky Mark nod for The Departed. As much as I should hate this former pants dropper, man he was good in that. I do like Alan Arkin, but this year I give it to the funky bunch in a landslide.

If you belong to a hollywood death pool, now is the time to increase your shares of Peter O'Toole. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, I even loved High Spirits with Steve Gooootenbergo, but this nomination is a harbinger of death.

Other comments, do we really need both Dame Helen Mirren and Dame Judi Dench nominated in the old british bag category, shouldn't one suffice?

Abigail Breslin was nominated...interesting. Maybe we finally have someone who can kick Dakota Fanning's ass without going to jail.

I will also attempt to see most of the films nominated. I am unable to bring myself to see United 93. I am also having a hard time bringing myself to see the Iwo Jima movie, I like the idea of showing the other side of Flags of Our Fathers, but I just don't know if I have it in me to see both movies.

An Inconvenient Truth is a slam dunk for Best Doc. I would have liked to have seen it get a best picture nod as well, but I know how it goes. Pan's Labrynth will also be a no brainer for Best Foreign film.

I see Grandma's Boy failed to garner a nomination. I will give it my own Duffless Award for "Best Movie That Should Have Sucked", but I loved it for some weird reason.

For overlooked I'd have to say The Proposition should have been nominated for a cinematography award.

Well, I plan on getting really drunk during 2 Dollar Beer Winter and enjoying some Oscars and seeing who gets the most claps during the Parade of Death. My money's on a tie between Jack Palance and Robert Altman. Peter Boyle will be getting most of my claps.

2 comments:

fuge said...

The opinions expressed by members of the Foundation...are not necessarily the opions of other Foundation members...

That being said...I liked Crash.

I do however agree that Peter O'Toole is ready to cash in his chips. I saw him on the daily show last week, and I swear to god, there's a good chance that the he may not win the oscar, but he will win the applause contest in the parade of dead.

MDG said...

Grandma's Boy is the most underrated Happy Madison production ever.