Thursday, August 31, 2006

High Fidelity type musings: or how I learned to be happy and still love Bob Seger


So, I got stood up tonight. I was supposed to meet him at Sligo. Walk in the door Bob Seger is playing on the jukebox, Hollywood Nights and then Turn the Page. I'm in heaven, this night is going to be awesome! For those who don't know, there is little I enjoy more than playing Seger on dive bar jukebox.

Cut to 45 min later, he's a no show, and I'm stood up. He is either very late or was killed in tragic blimp accident over Harvard Stadium. I take off and feel sad. I've got a slight buzz on and just don't feel like being alone.

I walk over to the Davis Square square. A busker is playing guitar, some standard song. Then out of nowhere, the guitar guy starts playing Way Over Yonder in the Minor Key, by Billy Bragg and Woody Guthrie. I love this song. Seriously love this song. This random song, on this weird and random sad night. I can promise you, no one else was meant for that song tonight. It was played for me, and only me. I clapped, gave the guy a dollar and a smile. It makes me think of Rob in High Fidelity: "People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" Yes, this happens to me, too much Cure and Smiths in my life. But sometimes, the perfect song plays at the perfect time and all is back to right in the world.

It also makes me think about some Badly Drawn Boy lyrics: "And songs are never quite the answer, Just a soundtrack to a life" Tonight, despite being a bit sad, the soundtrack was spot on. Way over Yonder was simple and made me smile. The pure joy of that moment made up for my indulgent sadness. It's these little, simple things; a song playing just for me, just for me in that crowd, that makes all the difference.

3 comments:

Alex said...

Ain't nobody who can sing like me!

That was truly an awesome story.

Anyone who stands you up will have to respond to me... with the ultimate response.

Dan Nolan said...

and now that Johnny Marr has joined Modest Mouse, the children are really fucked.

may Stand Up Boy get a nasty new strain of crabs and die alone and itchy.

Duffless said...

Turns out he was hit by a car while walking to his car, and he did a "TJ Hooker" across the hood and had to go to the hospital but is fine.

Now this could be a made up story, but I chose to believe it, as the the fates are warning this dude, do not go on a date with me.

I feel a bit bad about my blog, but it stands, as those were my feelings at the time.