Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I've been gone too long

But I'm back now. As some of you may know, The Foundation lost a dear friend recently, and no, I don't mean Bruno Kirby. My friend Jason passed away after a battle with cancer that lasted 2.5 years.

So, between going to Ireland, and dealing with the passing of my friend, I've been far from ready to post entertaining and funny blogs for my readerships enjoyment. This hiatus is now over. I feel that I'm back and in the game now. I have been upset and crying a lot over the past couple of weeks, so it helped me remember this:

The Top Five Movies that are guaranteed to make Fuge Cry no matter the circumstance...In reverse order Casey Kasem style.

Number 5. Field of Dreams

Having a catch with your old man, even after he was dead??? That's Touching. And this is the only time I'll call it, "Having a Catch". It's playing catch, but for somereason in Iowa, they call it "Having a Catch".

Number 4. Rudy

When I was at Umass, one of the greatest things that the campus offered was the Cable Station. Which showed relatively new movies (movies you'd see now on Starz or Encore). And they would show them for two weeks at a time or so. Whenever Rudy came on the station, the part near the end when the crowd chants for the Coach to put Rudy in...RUDY, RUDY, RUDY!, everyone on campus would start along with the chant. That's where the allergies start kicking in, and right when he runs on the field and bloated John Favreau yells, "he's so little", and after he sacks the quarterback and the still bloated Favreau yells "Who's The Wild Man Now?!" full on waterworks.

Number 3. Good Will Hunting

No real joke here, but It's Not Your Fault, It's Not Your Fault. Well it is my fault for having to break out the tissues for that scene.

Number 2. My Girl.

I know, it's questionable that I even admit that I've seen this movie. Little Anna Chlumsky never really did anything else besides make this movie. But I defy anyone to watch the funeral scene, where she's crying and asking where Thomas J's glasses are. "He Can't See Without His Glasses" without wiping the salty discharge from their eyes at least once.

Number 1. Brian's Song.

I've often said that this movie is the only excuse for any guy to cry out loud. I mean it's about football, it stars Billy Dee Williams and a Young James Caan, is about two friends who break racial barriers and play for the Chicago Bears. ONe gets cancer and dies, and Billy Dee does the most moving speeches in the locker room and when accepting the ComeBack Player of the Year award. I won't even try to pretend I"m not crying when I'm watching this, cause as soon as someone asks why you are crying, all they have to do is see Billy Dee in that afro, and everyone will understand.

So there it is, the five movies guaranteed to make me cry. I promise, I'll be back with some upbeat, positive funny posts in the near future, but I really just wanted to get back in slowly to the game.

Oh yeah, by the way, Ireland was awesome, but I really wish they had their own tv. I watched mostly English TV while I was there, and the Irish stations carried nothing but English American and Australian programming...I think I actually watched more "Friends" while hung over in the morning in 9 days in Ireland than I had in the bast 3 years of my life. I love English programming so much, I wish I got a taste of some Irish programming, it would have to be good, I'd think..but alas other than news...Nothing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. Nice to see that I'm not the only one who can't get through Field of Dreams with dry eyes.

I'll even admit to turning on the waterworks during an episode of Weeds.

Christ, did I just write that?

Peace,
Irie

Dan Nolan said...

sorry about your friend.

as far as I can remember, I've cried at 2.5 movies:

2.5 - Sleepers. Don't know why. I'm pretty sure I wasn't ever molested or raped. I'm not even sure if I really cried or if I spilled whiskey in my eye.

2 - Top Gun. When Goose died, I cried.

1 - The Fox and the Hound. Bawled my eyes out.

I also cried when my dad insisted on watching Alf instead of the Syracuse v Indiana National Championship game, but I don't think that counts because it wasn't a movie.

fuge said...

Dan,

Your dad made you miss the keith smart game to watch ALF?

What's wrong with him? That's reprehensible.

banky said...

Oh yeah, you gotta cry during Good Will Hunting. I mean, DAMN!

I confess to actively avoiding "Brian's Song" so as to not be seen crying.

I would confess to crying during "Brokeback Mountain," but I'm quite sure I'd never hear the end of it, so let me be *very clear* when I say that "Brokeback" did *not* make me cry, not even the shirt-hugging scene.

Dan Nolan said...

Fortunately, Alf was only a half hour show and I was able to see the Keith Smart shot after tearing my room to pieces in a sobbing rage. He left the family shortly after. Probably not because of that incident, but who knows.

Scooter B. said...

Rudy made you cry? Whoa. I don't want to be an unfeeling wench, but I hate movies in which people achieve their dreams through hard work and dedication.

Sorry about your friend. That sucks.