Monday, August 07, 2006

He was in What?

I was flipping through the channels yesterday on a rather weak Sunday afternoon for television viewing. I was pretty hungover from the day before, so I just really wanted some background noise to hopefully nap to.

I came across the Baseball movie "Angels in the Outfield". I think it's actually a remake of an older film, but this was the one starring Tony Danza, Danny Glover, Christopher Lloyd, That Guy Taylor Negron and a young Joseph Gordon-Levitt of "10 Things I Hate About You fame".

What amazed me about this wonderful piece of trash movie...was that there was not one...but TWO oscar winners in the cast. Playing the role of the Foster Mother who cared for young Levitt was Brenda Fricker, who won her Oscar for Supporting Actress in "My Left Foot". Also, making an appearance was a young Adrian Brody who played young ballplayer Danny Hemmerling. Brody of course won his best actor oscar for his role in the movie "The Piano".

So Fricker actually starred in this film, after her oscar. Maybe she thought that this would help her with the American Audience...I don't know. Brody was much more understandable, he was a young actor trying to make a name. He has since been much more selective with his choices of roles since winning an oscar. Actually come to think of it...I don't even think he's made a movie since he won...maybe he is like George Costanza, he knows when to call it a day.

So when I was watching this, I started to come up with a list of movies that I couldn't believe had Oscar winning actors in it.

We'll start at the top...

Ishtar...Perhaps Dustin Hoffman (wins for Kramer vs. Kramer and Rain Man) and Warren Beatty (never won for actor but did win for Director for Reds) thought that this one looked good on paper, but obviously that didn't translate to the screen.

Every Tom Hanks film until Big.

The Next Karate Kid. Hillary Swank has been in three films that I remember...and won two oscars. One was with Mr. Miyagi...and was pretty awful.

Boat Trip, Snow Dogs, Rat Race and Chill Factor...Cuba Gooding Junior.

Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion...Mira Sorvino.

Rocky Horror Picture Show...Susan Sarandon

Return of the Killer Tomatoes...George Clooney

Satisfaction...Julia Roberts

Toys...Jamie Foxx and Robin Williams and was written and Directed by Oscar Winner Barry Levinson!

Career Opportunities...Jennifer Connelly

And Finally, the classic of all classics...Jury Duty, starring Pauly Shore and Tia Carrerre, also starred two time Oscar award winning Actress Shelly Winters.

Which just goes to prove, that no matter how bad a movie appears to be, you maybe, just maybe may catch either a future oscar winner on the way up...or a former oscar winner who is crashing down, down, down.

7 comments:

MDG said...

I was in rolling in it on Saturday, there was Can't Hardly Wait, Zoolander, and Goonies on all at the same time. I could not have been happier.

banky said...

I can't think of any such good combos for you, but I was *horrified* when my friend recently pointed out that the Captain on "Monk" (Ted Levine) was none other than Buffalo Bill. This news freaked me out SO BAD I can't even tell you.

fuge said...

banky, all you can think of is the tuck right?

banky said...

You know me fuge, all I can *ever* think of is the Tuck!

fuge said...

It's ok Banky. The tuck is a major piece of a New Englander's life...We all remember the Tom Brady "Tuck" Rule right?

Next time you think of Jame Gumm prancing around with his junk tucked between his legs and a robe made of human female skin and hair, just think about Football, and America!

Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info clean sweep hard drive Zocor fatty liver disease kirby vacuum cleaner charlotte nc Nissan 300 zx twin turbo Discount drugs fioricet Childrens stationery cards tools Liz lange swimwear Free legal advice angeles locking xbox harddrive http://www.dance-0.info/Certified-adobe-training-microsoft-instructors-acquiredlearning-com.html Pop camper awnings replacement bag Registrar town

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » » »