Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Lists


I'll be quite honest...generally I hate making lists. I don't make shopping lists, I don't make to do lists, I don't make christmas lists...I do however enjoy a TOP LIST...for example the delayed but happening Top 50 Songs of all time list, the AFI top 100 Movies list, and especially the Classic Rock Top 500 Classic Rock Songs of All Time Memorial Day Weekend List. Here is a list, I don't get. The VH1 Greatest Songs of the 80's list. I'd have included a link straight to their site, but apparently the VH1 website is more difficult to navigate than either the various "ways" of boston, be it the Jamaica, River, VFW Park, West Roxbury Park or whatever, or The Boston Herald's website. Anyway, I will state at first that I have no problem overall with the list...Because A) it was voted on by viewers and people are stupid and B) no one contacted either Duffless or myself, so really, this list isn't valid.
100 Greatest 80s Songs List
First off I'll start at the top...This list is crap for the simple reason that the top 6 songs, aren't even the best songs by the artists that sang them, with the exception of Princes When Doves Cry...that one belongs, even higher than 5.! Pour Some Sugar On Me? Hasn't anyone ever heard of Photograph? Livin' On A Prayer, good song, but No Wanted Dead Or Alive....And the Hall And Oates Song? First off, find yourself in the 20's, and change your name to Maneater or Private Eye, and we'll talk...And Billy Jean? REALLY, I Mean Really? Not Thriller? Ok, that one could be argued, which one was the better song, and whether or not the thriller video enters into it.
I'm not going to get too picky with the actual spots on the list, but I'm pretty sure this list was voted on by people that weren't even alive in the 80's...My evidence? Please look at numbers 30-33. Again, I could go even further, but how is any of those songs not in the top 20? Love is a Battlefield? Top 10. Tainted Love, arguably top 10, Sister Christian? Only one of the greatest rock anthems of all time top 15 at least. Queen and David Bowie, under pressure? How is that not better than Hall and Oates at number 6, the only reason that this atrocity could occur is that people thought the song came out in the 70's, or the backlash of Vanilla Ice sampling it, really hurt.
I'll give the show credit, it did well, not so much with the rankings, but with the former 80's stars that they were able to russle up and interview...as well as some nice where are the now segments (The chick from Berlin is definitely Wicked Hot even today), but the actual rankings were putrid, I know viewers voted them in, but couldn't there have been a veto process?
Also, here is a list of the top songs of the last 25 years that VH1 Did as well, in case you are interested.
VH1 Top Songs List
Finally I may as well just do it...My top 10 Songs of the 80's list admittedly, this list is going to be songs that I'd have seen on MTV or heard on the radio, so VERY commercial radio driven:


10. Tainted Love (Soft Cell)
9. Don't Stop Believin' (Journey)
8. Jump (Van Halen)
7. Sister Christian (Night Ranger)
6. Love Is A Battlefield (Pat Benetar)
5. Don't You Want Me Baby (Human League)
4. Take on Me (A-HA)
3. Thriller (Michael Jackson)
2. Rocket Queen (Guns And Roses)
1. When Doves Cry (Prince)

Of course I should really do a list where I break this down by Pop and Rock, but really this blog isn't all about lists...

Ok, so one more thing, if anyone sees me with a starbucks cup these days, please punch me in the face, the Egg Nog Latte is out, and I CAN NOT AFFORD either the costs or the caloric intake. I'd drink those all day, every day if I could. But that's a story for another day I guess.

9 comments:

Duffless said...

Ok, so here is my list of my top 25 Favorite 80s songs. You have to keep in mind I'm a 80s music freak, so although things like Duran Duran aren't on the list - I still love their music - this list is my favorites, not necessarily the "best" 80s songs. Additionally, I don't count metal/hairbands etc in 80s lists - so you'll see no Def Leppard/GNR etc, I stuck with pop.

In No Order -

1.Take On Me – A ha
2. The Promise – When In Rome
3. Hold Me Now – Thompson Twins
4. Heat of the Moment – Asia
5. The Night Shift – The Commodores
6. Don’t Dream it’s Over – Crowded House
7. No One is to Blame - Howard Jones
8. Glory of Love – Peter Cetera
9. Life in a Northern Town – Dream Academy
10. Stepping Out – Joe Jackson
11. Open Arms - Journey (although I do love Wheel in the Sky)
12. Holding out for a Hero –Bonnie Tyler
13. Who can it be now? - Men at work
14. Der Komisar – After the Fire
15. Our House - Madness
16. Come on Eileen – Dexy’s Midnight Runners
17. Sister Christian – Night Ranger
18. Prince –When Doves Cry
19. True - Spandau Ballet
20. Tainted Love – Soft Cell
21. Tears for Fears – Everybody Wants to Rule the World
22. Toto – Africa
23. Weird Al – entire 80s Catalogue
24.Time after Time – Cyndi Lauper
25 . Brass in Pocket – The Pretenders

Dan Nolan said...

Gonna be sweet sounds

comin down

on the night shift!

Great fucking call. That just forced a major change in my rankings:

1. London Calling - The Clash - am I ranking this too high out of some sort of overcompensation fueled by my rage at it being at # 42 on that list? maybe.
2. Night Shift - The Commodores
3. I Feel For You - Chaka Khan
4. Humpty Dance - Digital Underground
5. - 99. other songs
100. Straight Up - Paula Abdul

Dan Nolan said...

Night Shift on Solid Gold:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=17E9Pn3Tv48

Duffless said...

Solid Gold!!!!!!!!!

OMG - -

well done

Anonymous said...

This cannot be beat!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Kiq_-MUTOE

Duffless said...

Boy! That was was a game material.

Nobody has a better track record of loving Short Circuit 2!!

Just for posting that, you can stay in the family!

banky said...

Billie Jean is *definitely* a better song than Thriller. I will not argue about this.

Duffless said...

I am in full agreement on Billie Jean

fuge said...

After talking with solid foundation supporters, I've decided that this was an error on my part. I have trouble seperating Thriller the Video...from Thriller...The song.