Monday, October 02, 2006

DAMN YOU NBC!!!!


I'm a fickle tv watcher...I'll admit it. It took me a while to come around to the American Office. I would skip My Name Is Earl all the time. But I've come around. I now consistently watch 5 shows on your network! Three of them are full hour long shows...Heroes, Studio 60 and ER (yes, I'm back watching ER too), and what do you do to repay me. You use the song that was in my head for 4 entire years during my college years as a theme song on your commercials for Friday Night Lights. Strong Enough by Sheryl Crow was literally in my head for roughly 4 years. From the middle of my first semester freshman year, til right about the time of graduation...There was a good chance that I would be humming, whistling or even singing that song. The funny thing is that Sheryl Crow is one of the last things you'd ever, ever expect to be singing. In college I was a hardcore freak...I wore jean shorts a wallet chain and a blue hooded sweatshirt every day.

I listened to bands like Snapcase, Sick of it All and H2O...I didn't listen to Mix 98.5 shit like Sheryl Crow, but without fail, it was in my head. I hate to admit it, I would have been dissallowed from going to shows, I am lucky I wasn't branded a poseur. But I couldn't help it.

What didn't help matters is that my friend jay, would often wait until everyone was being quiet, and would sing the song so I would get it fresh in my head again...and I'd be really pissed, but what could I do. I think it took not being around Jay an other friends every minute of every day, to be rid of Ms. Crow's early 90's song...but now it's back...

Every time I turn around I see the promo, and here that voice and that opening line: God I feel like Hell tonight. And I hate you for it NBC...What have I done to deserve this fate!

Do I have to watch Deal or No Deal?

Must I not make fun of John Madden?

I'll do it...I swear! Just stop that commercial!

2 comments:

Dan Nolan said...

wasn't H2O a straight edge band? I think I saw them in Florida 6 or 7 years ago with my co-worker who used to bring me to punk shows. we sat in the back of the club drinking beer and making fun of the straight edge kids and the non-straight edge punks who weren't old enough to drink. He also brought me to see a Snuff show, which featured one of the greatest punk anthems I've ever heard: "You're An Asshole". I don't know if it was called that but that was the chorus.

fuge said...

Dan...

I believe H20 may have had straightedge and non straightedge members. Snapcase could also have been straightedge, but I didn't care.

Straightedge kids flocked to those types of shows, so even if it wasn't straightedge, there were plenty to make fun of.